Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cooper the Trooper (day #1)

Cooper went in for his surgery on March 5th and everything went as planned. The surgery lasted just under 6 hours, and although we knew what to expect this time I don't think you can ever be prepared for something like this. This time we brought all kinds of things to keep us busy thinking it would help pass the time, but the majority of the 6 hours were still spent staring at the clock and counting down the seconds until the next update.
We had to be at the hospital at 6 am and I of course didn't sleep a wink the entire night before. We braved the snow storm that so conveniently blew in that day and somehow we made in there on time. The waiting room was busier than I had ever seen it so we had to wait for quite a while just to get in. We then had a quick meeting with our surgeon, Dr. Kaza and our anesthesiologist. They assured us that he would be in good hands but it still didn't make it any easier to say good-bye to our sweet little baby...It was a very hard moment standing in that long hallway outside of the operating room saying our good-byes to little Cooper again. The anesthesiologist had given him some drugs that relaxed him a bit so he just laid calmly in my arms and looked up at us smiling. Judd whispered to him to give him a kiss and he perked up and stuck his little lips out and gave him a big loopy kiss and then leaned over and gave me one too! It was the cutest thing ever...I told him how much I loved him and that he would be ok and I would see him soon and then they scooped him out of my arms and the doors shut. I lost it again, just like last time. I bawled like a baby for a few minutes and then pulled myself together and we headed into the waiting room.
It felt like eternity until we got our first update, but we finally saw Bonnie's familiar face walking down the hall and she informed us that the incision had been made and they were getting started. After a series of updates at about 12:30 the waiting room phone rang and when the nurse called for the parents of Cooper Bundy I about fell off my chair!...All of our updates this time and last tine during his surgeries were done in person so we were not expecting a phone call. My heart sank and I ran to the phone thinking something was definitely wrong. It was Bonnie on the other end and she assured me that everything was going fine...they had just taken him off the heart/lung machine and things were going a bit faster than expected. She just wanted to let us know that they were a bit ahead of schedule and that we would be able to see him in about an hour...I was so relieved! The worst was over and at that moment I knew he was gonna be ok!

We were able to see him at about 1:45 and once again it was one of the greatest moments of my life! It was hard to see him with all of the tubes and iv's and machines he was hooked up to, but I think I knew more what to expect this time around so it made it a bit easier. Since he was older they took out his breathing tube a few hours later, which was great and he was able to have visitors later that night. Because of RSV and H1N1 they wouldn't allow anyone under age 14 in the PICU so the boys didn't get to see him but his grandparents and my little brother were able to come and see him and he had a pretty good 1st night. Judd and I stayed by his side until about midnight and then we took turns sitting by his bed through the night so at least one of us could get some sleep. It was a long night, but we were SO grateful that he was ok that it didn't matter:)


Post a Comment