Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cooper the Trooper (day #4)

The next day we knew we would be leaving the PICU and going up to a recovery room on the 3rd floor. We were so excited! Cooper was doing great and he was ready to go, but it ended up taking much longer than expected. We didn't get to leave until about 3:00 so we were a little bummed and spent much of the day waiting anxiously. But it was really exciting because we got one of our favorite nurses that took care of Cooper last time as our nurse for that day and it was so fun to see her and catch up. She couldn't believe how big Cooper had gotten and how good he was doing, it was really great to see her:)
We played with toys and walked around the PICU with him and my dad was sweet enough to bring us up a delicious lunch and he sat with Cooper for awhile so Judd and I could eat together. He is so thoughtful and loves Cooper so much, he definitely has that "grandpa touch."

Later that day we were released and headed up to the 3rd floor...Cooper was so excited to have a change of scenery and so were we! We now had our own room with a fold-out bed next to his crib and we even had our own bathroom...It was amazing! They brought him in toys and he was able to get down and play and he even watched a doggie movie, which he was very enthusiastic about:)

I think after getting out of the PICU we were finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and we knew that we would be able to take him home soon. He even got to have a special visit from his big brothers, which was just precious...Things were looking good and it was a great feeling!

But of course, in true Cooper tradition, he had to have another little challenge in there somewhere so he started in with the throwing up again and had another terrible night. He was mobile now and did not want to lay in his crib or go to sleep and the poor little guy was so shaky and couldn't keep anything down. He was just miserable, so finally the nurse took away his crib in the middle of the night and replaced it with a regular hospital bed and I was able to lay in it with him and he did so much better. I don't think I slept a wink all night because I was trying to keep his monitors on and I was so afraid he was gonna fall off the bed, but it was so nice to just cuddle and love him all night...It's amazing that with all the medicine and technology we have today that sometimes mommy is still the only thing that can make it all better:)


Post a Comment